HBO is building a world-class software development center in Seattle, WA. We are looking for a developer-focused writer to create technical materials for our development and operations teams. We need someone with great writing skills, deep technical experience, and innovative ideas about technical communications and developer education.
As a senior developer educator and writer, you will:
- Practice a tight, precise writing style that succinctly delivers technical information while maximizing the efficiency of our development staff
- Create and edit detailed tutorials and walkthroughs that new developers can easily consume.
- Create and maintain code samples and snippets to accompany your documentation.
- Author operational troubleshooting guides for microservices deployed in a cloud infrastructure.
- Work closely with our development team to create technical content in real time and ensure that it conveys information at a deep level
- Review and provide feedback on the design of software frameworks and interfaces for flow, consistency, and interoperability.
- Navigate multiple development platforms such as web, iOS, and Android.
- Contribute to the infrastructure and automation that we use to author and publish our work.
- Curiosity about technology, innovation, and invention.
- Passion for making complex technologies understandable to others.
- Commitment to capturing and maintaining institutional knowledge.
- Strong developer advocacy.
- Highly organized and able to balance multiple projects in a fast--‐paced, deadline--‐driven environment; anticipates problems and develops contingency plans for projects.
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively across disciplines.
- At ease and effective working with colleagues who are geographically distant.
- A strong interest in HBO, our streaming products, and the power of story and narrative to enrich lives.
- Impeccable written English skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly, concisely, and accurately without relying not technical or corporate jargon.
- Demonstrated experience developing SDK documentation that has been published for an external developer audience
- Experience working closely with developers and writing highly technical content for developers.
- Ability to transform drafts written by domain experts in well-crafted, accessible content for PDF and web.
- Has a multi-dimensional view of documentation that incorporates not just accuracy and completeness, but also usability, discoverability, internationalization, and the technical aspects of authoring and publishing.
- Ability to think strategically about documentation, developer needs, and developer experience.
- Familiar with at least one major style guide such as the Microsoft Manual of Style or Chicago.
- Experience giving talks or presentation is a plus.
- Experience developing videos or demos is a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- A history of fearless hands-on product use.
- Knowledge of Model-View-Controller (MVC).
- Knowledge of computer networking and REST web services.
- Familiar with AWS or other infrastructure –as-service systems.
- Familiar with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Comfortable working from the command line on multiple operating systems, particularly Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Comfortable with Git and GitHub workflows, such as branching, merging, and pull requests (PRs). Also familiar with at least one centralized source control system such as Perforce or SVN.
- Fluency in markup languages such as HTML and XML, and in at least one variant of Markdown.
- Specific knowledge of Pandoc Markdown, GitHub Flavored Markdown (GFM), and RMarkdwn is preferred. Knowledge of XML authoring frameworks such as DITA or DocBook is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (preferred), Engineering, Technical Writing, developer outreach, or a related field.
- Minimum 5-7 years in technical writing, developer outreach, or related fields.
- Candidate should have industry experience in the technology and entertainment sectors.
On your application, please include samples of your work that show a breadth of experience writing content for a developer audience. Include examples of hands-on work you’ve done, including conceptual, procedural, and reference documentation, as well as code samples. You may also wish to show us workflows, content templates, and style guides or standards you’ve developed.