This Program Manager - Operational Processes position is part of HBO’s Digital Products department. Digital Products works to develop and release applications and features to further expand and enhance HBO’s digital properties, including HBO GO, MAX GO and HBO NOW streaming services.
This role is responsible for solution delivery and process development in partnership with our site reliability engineering & software engineering teams to ensure HBO delivers and maintains a premium client and customer experience. This includes helping define, guide and manage delivery of development teams in service of achieving operational excellence, primarily focused at the Monitor and Operate phases of our Product Development Lifecycle. The candidate should have strong organizational and analytical skills, as well as be a proven collaborator who can problem solve. This position reports to the Manager, Program Management Operational Processes.
The successful candidate will partner with engineering to improve the reliability and performance of HBO’s premiere digital services including HBO GO and HBO NOW, HBO.com and exciting sites like hooli.xyz, GameOfThrones.com and DiscoverWestworld.com. The candidate will be able to embrace our engineering-focused culture and development philosophy by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive refinements and shepherd work through the PDLC. Our self-organizing development teams need a Program Manager who remains focused on delivering to the right goals and executing in a way that is consistent with the team’s development methodology. To this end, the candidate must possess strong negotiation and cross-functional communication skills.
- Development, design and implementation of strategic features or projects to increase the efficiency of applications within Digital Products.
- Identify and problem solve operational inconsistencies in order to develop effective and efficient solutions and processes. Processes are in support of digital products consumer service reporting and alerts for engaging engineering and operations.
- Create problem statements and move from those to appropriate and data driven proposals, recommendations, and solutions. Then drive alignment across all stakeholders.
- Expertly manage cross-functional communication within the development team.
- Work with development teams to tease out implementation details and identify roadblocks before they occur.
- Design and document workflows to support internal controls.
- Guide continued development efforts resulting in new incident management and reporting processes.
- Participate in repeatable, scalable and modern approaches to identifying, routing, closing-out and reporting on consumer and partner-facing issues, across the Digital Products organization.
- Collaborate with Ops, Services and Hotline as necessary to augment current processes and documentation in this area.
- Gather information from customer service and web ops & engineering to prepare and deliver KPI-oriented Service Reviews.
- 3+ years of experience on multiple technical projects
- Cloud based application PM experience focused on clients or services.
- Bachelor's Degree or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field preferred; software development experience is a plus.
- Media or entertainment industry experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with all levels of technical and non-technical staff.
- Able to problem solve inconsistencies to create data driven proposals, recommendations and solutions to drive alignment with stakeholders.
- Demonstrate rigor in prioritizing and identifying requirements and processes to enhance workflows and solutions delivery.
- Able to Shepard development pipelines through release.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
- Able to drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans, and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational, and business requirements.
- Demonstrate understanding of development methodologies including waterfall and agile.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to clearly, concisely, and regularly communicate status, issues, and risks to project stakeholders.
- Able to function effectively and consistently when faced with frequently changing and sometimes ambiguous goals
- Experience documenting technical systems and training users in complex operational procedures.
- Able to learn new development tools and productivity tools in order to continuously improve effectiveness.