| || |
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
What part will you play?
We are looking for a senior editor on an about-to-form breaking news team. This editor will help iterate our coverage and priorities of the day, from delivering timely nuggets of information to contextualizing a fast-moving story. This job involves creative packaging of stories -- headlines, images, video, related material -- on homepages. It involves developing, executing and evolving a strategy for alerting, as our notifications move toward a more personalized experience.
The successful candidate will bring creativity, energy and substance to our programming and planning; have a full understanding of digital programming and storytelling; help set daily coverage priorities as well as longer-term planning; ensure successful workflows; be a data junkie, constantly refining and evolving strategy based on audience metrics; react swiftly to breaking news and help strategize the best delivery; and be able to identify engaging content and influence its production. This is a new team and a new leader, reporting into the director of breaking news.
What will you be doing?
This position is primarily a breaking news editing role and the ideal candidate will:
What do we need from you?
- Conceptualize, curate and craft breaking news updates and show an understanding of the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social.
- Create sharp headlines.
- Prioritize stories and set a news agenda that is clear to audiences.
- Work with editorial, design and product teams and coordinate content and distribution strategies.
- Have a passion for breaking news, political news, and be unafraid to build the future of journalism on the web
- This role requires constant communication and coordination with the programming, news & alert, digital news, news-gathering and teams across CNN.
- Bachelor's degree. 5+ years' experience in an editorial or reporter role at a traditional or digital native news organization.
- Sound editorial and social judgment; excellent writing and visual communication skills.
- Strong content management system experience on desktop web, mobile web, and mobile.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment making independent decisions.
- Strong understanding of mobile, apps, and social media.
- Experience in a video-led operation a plus.
- Strong copy editing skills are needed for this role.
- This leader will hire and build this team and should be a proven manager with excellent leadership and communication skills.
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2015 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.